Sunday, July 23, 2006

Yosakoi Dancing

Well I am off to Japan in 2 weeks time, and it is my favourite time of the year to go to Kochi City in Japan as they hold a dance festival called Yosakoi which is a beautiful thing to watch. It is made up of various teams wearing marvelous costumes and generally thrilling all the spectators for 3 days during August(10th,11th,12th) most of the dance troupes practice for months and some of the dances are very very intricate, last year I took part in the festival in a dance troupe made up completely of tourists(mainly Japanese) and learnt the dance we had to do in about 1 hour (it was a very simple dance that I still managed to get wrong on several occasions) anyway this year my wife entered us into the festival with a dance troupe one of her blog friends told her about, basically we had to register online and then watch the dance on the website and try and learn it that way, to any Japanese viewers of my blog you would probably recognise the dance as a traditional one but to me it is completely alien... HELP... No matter how hard I try I cannot make my moves look less feminine I look like a really CAMP fat old man, I am starting to panic, my wife may of come to the rescue because she noticed on the site that there were no dress restrictions:P so she said we could dress as NINJA'S and hide our faces I think this is an utterly brilliant suggestion and it could be the answer to hiding my shame. I really want to get the dance right, the reason is this, when the dancers dance down the streets, judges walk with them watching for people who they are impressed with and award them with a medal, I WANT TO GET ONE, this is my dream, but with my luck I will end up forgetting the dance completely and just look like a demented drunken Ninja, oh God nightmares are made of this........So if anyone reading this happens to be in Kochi for Yosakoi and they see a round wobbly ninja causing havoc in a dance troupe ITS NOT ME ITS SOMEONE DISGUISED AS ME:)....
P.S. Obachan I have your tea:)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is another YOSAKOI in my hometown, Sapporo. One Japanese student from Kochi missed his home and thought there was no main festival in June. He asked the city council for a permission for 2 hour's occupation of the city centre district for a small dancing festival. Most participants to YOSAKOI at that time were limited to his friends and some others, but now it has become one of the biggetst tourist attractions in Sapporo. What did Sumo-san say about your dancing? Has she given you any special lessons?

Ian said...

Princessruby at this moment I think I am dancing better than Sumo-san:D she has not practiced enough. We are meant to practice everynight but Sumo always finds a reason not to practice, but soon she will start to panic when she realises her dancing is not so good yet hahahaha